Biotech Careers & Training
Favorite comprehensive resources for students and teachers looking for information on biotech careers are (in no particular order):
1) The Biotechnology Degree Guide! This is a great online resource for researching biotechnology degree programs across the US, though of course we highly recommend the UC Davis Biotechnology Major :)
2) For guidance on whether a career in biotech would suit individual students, a wonderful resource is the Guide to Life Science Careers by Dr. Karen Peterson, available at Scitable, an online science education resource maintained by the Nature Publishing Group.
3) The California Employment Development Department has a regionally focused website, Biotechnology in California, recently updated in April 2013. This data-rich resource includes profiles of specific biotech jobs found in the state, including education and training requirements, wage information and job outlooks.
4) AgCareers.com is a great tool for those interested in ag biotech jobs. I always recommend that students look at current job listings for careers of interest, take note of the required skills and formal training, then aim to acquire that background. This is a great website for information gathering and has regional, national and international coverage.
Summer Research & Training Programs for High School Students
- COSMOS UC Davis
- Girls Who Code
- UC Davis Young Scholars Program
- NIH NHLBI Research Training Programs
- NIH Summer Internship Program in Biomedical Research (SIP)
- Stanford Institutes of Medicine Summer Research Program
The table below lists a number of additional online resources for exploring biotechnology careers.
American River College is the home of the North Valley Biotechnology Center, an AS degree program and a certificate program. Contact Prof. Ken Kubo (KuboK@arc.losrios.edu) for program information.
|BiotechEmployment.com||A survey and salary information database providing annual data on average salaries in the biotech industry through 2009.|
|Biotech Work Portal||A comprehensive website with links to information on biotech careers, educational programs, job postings, labor market data and much more!|
|CareerGPS||A user-friendly career pathways website developed by LEED for the greater Sacramento, California region.|
|CareerOneStop||A career information website hosted by the US Department of Education and the US Department of Labor.|
|Computer Science Degrees||A comprehensive search engine for students interested in CS and CIS programs.|
|Computer Science Online||A great website with links to educational programs, industry information and FAQs about IT careers.|
|Contra Costa College||Biotechnology program page for CCC with many llinks to Bay Area biotech resources.|
|Guide to Life Science Careers||Nature Publishing group's Scitable website offers a four unit guide to life science careers, written by Dr. Karen Peterson.|
|Career path information for a wide variety of disciplines, including STEM. Partners include the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the americanjobcenter, the US State Department and the Institute of Education Services.|
|North Valley Biotechnology Center at American River College||The mission of the North Valley Biotechnology Center (NVBC) is to provide biotechnology and related industries with a regional point-of-contact with community college programs and services.|
|Ohlone College||"Ohlone College offers classes leading to a certificate in Biotechnology." The Ohlone Learning Alliance for Bioscience (LAB) program encourages high school students to explore careers in the life sciences.|
|NSF Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Programs||These competitive summer residential research experiences give undergraduates a taste of cutting-edge research and the life of graduate students! Fun and looks great on grad school and professional school applications.|
|ScienceCareers||A job search and informational webpage from Science magazine and the AAAS.|
|Skyline College||Skyline College is a community college located in San Bruno (Bay Area), offering an entry level biotechnology manufacturing certificate and a biotechnology AS degree.|
|Solano Community College Industrial Biotechnology||The Solano Community College Industrial Biotechnology Program is a nationally recognized model for biotech training. The program offers both an AS degree and a Certificate of Achievement.|
|San Jose State University||San Jose State offers a professional Master's degree in Biotechnology (MBT).|
|UC Davis Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology||Offered through the UC Davis College of Agricultural & Environmental Sciences, the undergraduate biotechnolgy major "develops practical skills that make graduates highly attractive job candidates for companies in agricultural, food and beverage industries; health care; chemical, pharmaceutical and biochemical industries; and environmental analysis and remediation industries."|
|Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) "We See You in the Life Sciences"||VCU has many resources for K-12 instruction in the life sciences, including this careers page. Very user-friendly and highly recommened for teens.|